Washington Tacoma Mission; May 2012 - June 2013
Washington Federal Way Mission; July 2013 - May 2014

I want to share my testimony with you. I know God lives, he loves and cares about me and is very watchful of me. He is my Father in Heaven, I am his Son. Heavenly Father sent his Son, Jesus Christ to come to this earth, to show us the way to return to live with our Father in Heaven. Christ suffered in the Garden of Gethsemane for my sins, my bad days, and my hard aches willingly. He then died on the cross. He rose three days. He is my Savior, my Redeemer. I would have no hope without Jesus Christ. He is my Light and Life. I am so grateful for my Mother and Father here on earth. They have truly sacrificed so much for me to be here on a mission. Thank You. I know Joseph Smith saw God the Father and his Son, Jesus Christ in the grove. Joseph restored the true and living church back to this earth, and because of that, i can take the sacrament each week, and be cleansed from sin. I love the temple so much, there is truly a spirit of power there. God is over this work. I am so grateful for this opportunity to serve a mission. May God bless you until we meet again. I say that in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Sunday, April 29, 2012

April 29, 2012

Ryan Scott Johnson gave his Missionary Farewell Talk at 11:00 am at the Park 2nd Ward in West Jordan, Utah.

                                                 Ryan Scott Johnson's Talk

I Am Called Of God

My authority is above that of the kings of the earth. By revelation I have been selected as the personal representative Of the Lord Jesus Christ.

He is my Master and he has chosen me to represent him; to stand in his place; to say and do what he himself would say and do if he personally were ministering among the very people to whom he has sent me.

My voice is his voice, and my acts are his acts; my words are his words, and my doctrine is his doctrine- For I am his agent.

My commission is to do what he wants done, to say what he wants said, to be a living, modern witness – in word and in deed – of the divinity of his great and marvelous latter-day work.

And he that receiveth me, receiveth him, while he that rejecteth me, rejecteth him that sent me.

How great is my calling!

My Dear Brothers and Sisters, Good Morning

          I’m so thankful that all of you have come today to not only bid a farewell to a missionary but also to partake of the sweet spirit, that feeling of comfort and peace that we long after so much. I pray that it will guide and direct me as I deliver this important and tender message to you on this last and final Sabbath day with you before I go out and serve the Lord in the great state of Washington.

I have pondered long and stressed much over this talk today and the event that will come on Wednesday, but as I look out to you this morning and see my friends and family whom I have come to love so much with my whole heart just brings me happiness and comfort, and knowing that my family brings me happiness I want to share that with you so Family is what I want to speak to you about today.
As the famous primary song, “We’ll bring the world his truth” says; we have been born as Nephi of old, to goodly parents who love the Lord. We have been saved for these latter days to build the kingdom in righteous ways. Just picture how your life would be different without your parents loving the Lord and striving to build the kingdom in righteous ways. I believe all of us would be sitting home watching the next best television show and Sunday would just be another day of our week.

In the For the Strength of Youth, it reads; being a part of a family is a great blessing. Your Family can provide you with companionship and happiness, help you learn correct principles in a loving atmosphere, and help you prepare for eternal life.

          In the Book of Mormon, we learn about two thousand young men.

In Alma 53:20, And they were all young men, and they were exceedingly valiant for courage, and also for strength and activity; but behold, this was not all – They were men who were true at all times in whatsoever thing they were entrusted.

My question to you is where do you think they learned this from? Some teacher in classroom, the television, the internet, their friend’s parents, or the world, I don’t think so!

I believe the answer is in Alma 56:47, Now they never had fought yet they did not fear death; and they did think more upon the liberty of their fathers than they did upon their lives; yea, they had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them. Let me read that to you again, they had had been taught by their mothers.

          Thinking back to the October 2010 general conference, Elder Larry R. Lawrence had this to say about parenting.

(Quote): The Mutual theme for 2010 was taken from the book of Joshua. It begins, “Be strong and of good courage; be not afraid.” (Joshua 1:9) This phrase from the scriptures would be a good theme for parents as well. In these last days, what the world really needs is courageous parenting from mothers and fathers who are not afraid to speak up and take a stand. Challenges and temptations are coming at our teenagers with the speed and power of a freight train. As we are reminded in the family proclamation, parents are responsible for the protection of their children. That means spiritually as well as physically.” (Close quote)

          In General Conference less a month ago, Cheryl A. Esplin taught,

 “This divine privilege of raising our children is a much greater responsibility than we can do alone, without the Lord’s help. He knows exactly what our children need to know, what they need to do, and what they need to be to come back into His presence. (Close quote)
          Parents, what a sacred calling you have been called to do on this earth. You have been entrusted with our heavenly parent’s children while they dwell here on this earth. My friends, who are single, not married, or do not yet to have children. Do not get comfortable and sit back and think, “Man, Ryan is talking about families and parenthood, I need not listen to this!” Let me stop you right there and ask you this. “Are you not preparing to be mothers and fathers? And will you not someday be trusted just like your parents were with you.” This is my plea with you, “Let us prepare today. Learn as much as we can before that little infant enters our lives, Let us better ourselves and let us be worthy of those choice spirits that were withheld for your family.

          Quoting Sister Esplin again,

“Teaching our children to understand is more than just imparting information. It’s helping our children get the doctrines into their hearts in a way that it becomes a part of their very being and is reflected in their attitudes and behaviors thought-out life”. (Close quote)

          I know that some of my fondest memories are with my family. I will share some with you; with my brother Adam who is nine years older than me, Building baseball stadiums in the sandbox, or hosting the Lego Olympics; or with Chad, who is five years older than me, the eventful trip coming home from Christmas in Washington with my brother and going to the temple with him. Other memories include; playing hockey in the street with all the neighborhood kids, a midnight chug on New Year’s Eve or building massive snow hills and forts during the winter. I love both my brothers dearly, the times we spend together are some of the fondest. These memories probably would have not happened if our parents didn’t teach good values and to love our brothers.
          Although my mother moved to Washington almost six years ago, she still calls me and listens to my highs and lows and all my complaining. She counsels me on what to do, and I know she will support me in whatever I choose to do. But without a doubt in my mind, I know it is my mom’s mission in this life to embarrass me as much as she can even when she lives over 700 miles away. All three of us will tell you about the times when we went shopping with her and she would start singing opera really loud! Oh my gosh we would never claim her as our mother in that store again! I love my mother so much and even though she was not able to make it down from Washington today, I want to wish her an Early Happy Mother’s Day and Early Birthday.

          I think my dad is so ready to kick me to the curb at the MTC on Wednesday. It has just been my dad and I since my brother Chad left on his mission. He has been through the thick and thin and probably wants to blame losing his hair to raising his three boys, but I know that he wouldn’t trade it for anything the world had to offer, and if that’s true it just shows how much he has worked and done for us. I’m so grateful for my dad and all he does for me.

          President Thomas S. Monson taught this important thing,
“When we have sampled much and wandered far and seen how fleeting and sometimes superficial a lot of the world is, over gratitude grows for the privilege of being part of something we can count on- home and family and the loyalty of loved ones. We came to know what it means to be bound together by duty, by respect, and by belonging. We learn that nothing can fully take place of the blessed relationship of family life.” (Close quote)

          In Preach My Gospel, it reads:
“The home is the best place to teach, learn, and apply principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ. A home established on gospel principles will be a place of refuge and safety. It will be a place where the Spirit of the Lord can abide, blessing family members with peace, joy, and happiness.”

          I know the comfortable feeling each time I step into my home and out of the world, knowing that people care about me and that they want me to succeed, instead of the world tearing us down to make themselves feel better.
          Parents, our children are watching our every move. They learn from the things we do. We are teaching your children by our actions without saying a word. I know that my children are watching me and my future wife also from their current home in the pre-mortal life. I already know by the examples my parents set that my children will be the greatest blessing ever in my life.

          President Monson continues,
“Brethren, let’s treat our wives with dignity and respect. They’re our eternal companions. Sisters, honor your husbands. They need to hear a good word. They need a friendly smile. They need a warm expression of true love.” (Close quote)

          In the family proclamation, given by President Gordon B. Hinckley on September 25, 1995, it reads,
“Husbands and wives have a solemn responsibility to love and care for each other and for their children. Parents have a sacred duty to rear their children in love and righteousness, to provide for their physical and spiritual needs, to teach them to love and serve one another, observe the commandments of God and to be law-abiding citizens wherever they may live.”

          Elder Lawrence also had this to teach us about families,
Our Church leaders have counseled us to established righteous patterns in our homes. Consider five fundamental practices that have the power to fortify our youth: Family prayer, family scripture study, family home evening, family dinner together, and regular one-on-one interviews with each child. Parenting teenagers in the latter days is a very humbling assignment. Satan and his followers are striving to bring this generation down; the Lord is counting on valiant parents to bring them up. Parents, “be strong and of good courage; and be not afraid.” (Close quote)

 In closing, President Monson counsels us to,
“Remember what is most important almost always involves the people around us. Often we assume that they must know how much we love them. But we should never assume; we should let them know! Wrote William Shakespeare, ‘They do not love that do not show their love.’ We will never regret the kind words spoken or the affection shown. Rather, our regrets will come if such things are omitted from our relationships with who mean the most to us.” (Close quote)

          Let us express our love to ones that matter most to us, Our Family. As I bid thee farewell and wish you luck in your journey along your paths wherever they may lead. I leave this counsel with you:

“And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.

“Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men.”

          “Our life is what we make of it. Despite all the distractions, we can see to it that Christ is at the center of our life.

Fear not I am with thee; oh be not dismayed, for I am thy God and will still give thee aid. I’ll strength thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand.

So amid the conflict, whether great or small, do not be discouraged; God is over all. Count your many blessings; angles will attend, help and comfort gives you to your journey’s end.

I know that my redeemer lives. He Lives to comfort me when faint. He lives to hear my soul’s complaint. He lives to silence all my fears. He lives to wipe away my tears. He lives to calm my troubled heart. I know that my Redeemer lives. I know he is there to help us along our paths. Always extending his hand to me when I have fallen, to help me back up. I know that families can be together forever through Heavenly Fathers Plan. Joseph Smith restored this gospel and the priesthood back to this earth. This Gospel is so true. I love this gospel, the joy and happiness it brings me far outweighs what the world can offer me. I know have a Heavenly Father and a Heavenly Mother that loves me and watches over me. They love each one of us. We are their children. May we remember that and may our families be filled with love: love of each other, love of the gospel, love of our fellowman, and love of our Savior. If we do these things, I pray that heaven might be a little closer here on earth and may we accept his warm hand into our lives this day; I leave that with you in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen

On May 1st, 2012 - Ryan is set apart as a missionary, by the Stake President ___ @ 20:30 hrs,  and is now Elder Johnson.

On May 2, 2012 - Elder Johnson enters the MTC, in Provo, Utah

On May 22, 2012 Elder Johnson left the MTC and flew out of Salt Lake International Airport at 08:30 am, on Delta flight 1857.  He landed at the SeaTac (Seattle/Tacoma) airport at  09:35 am.

On May.....2012 Elder Johnson spent time getting introduced to the NorthWest and the TAC-WA Mission, met President & Sister Weaver, and his new companion.

On June 4, 2012 Elder Johnson is transferred to his first area - Aberdeen, Washington.  His companion and trainer is Elder Anderson.  He is also able to drive a car, and is enjoying the people he is meeting.

June 25, 2012  I have received alot of feedback from the members and investigators as to what a great and wonderful missionary Elder Johnson is.  And his sweet spirit & smile just fills the room with love and caring.  I have been complimented on what a great son I have raised, and thanking me for send such a great young man into their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment